The Historical Jesus


 

In a multi-cultural city in a multi-cultural time, it is appropriate to give room this season for all expressions of "holy-days."  And, even within the Christian tradition, there are folks who just celebrate the Western trappings of Christmas - Santa, trees, gifts - without any of the spirituality, whereas there are others who place more weight on the Biblical accounts of the birth of Jesus from a religious standpoint.  

Not making any value judgments here, just stating facts.  Also factual is that Jesus was not born on December 25, nor was he a white dude with blue eyes.  I'll pause here for a minute to let that sink in. 

I personally have a particular faith perspective, and I admit my own blind spots - the things I don't know, and the things I don't know I don't know.  I could say more, since this is my blog and therefore my space, but I'll leave it at that. However you celebrate, I wish you peace and safety.  

 And I commend to you, whatever your faith persuasion is, to consider the historical Jesus.  He is more interesting and more accessible than you might think.

Comments

Popular Posts