Learning Greatness from Giannis and Tiger


 

Buried deep in an otherwise pleasant GQ article about supremely likable NBA mega-star Giannis Antetokounmpo is this thunder bolt of a quote:

In the end, greatness is fundamentally isolating. What you have to do to achieve it separates you from everyone else in a way that is difficult to undo.

And immediately I'm taken to this Tiger Woods commercial from the late 2000's, in which he lists all the pleasurable things he can do on a rainy day, but then notes that he doesn't get rainy days because he's always working at his craft.

I'll never be as good as the Greek Freak is at hoop or Tiger was at golf, not by a long stretch.  But there is something to be said, being both the president of a consulting firm and a dad who desires to be active in his kids' lives, about how much of a grind it is to do this.  Success, it is said, is something that everyone wants but few want to pay the true cost for.  

There will, God willing, be time in my life for the "rainy day activities" in Tiger's commercial, for the un-separating from people and pleasures referenced in Giannis' quote.  For now, not so much.  Waking up early, banging out emails late into the night, sweating every detail to take care of clients or co-workers or family members and then making sure it actually gets done day in and day out: I choose this, I love this, I know what it is costing me and I am happy to pay it. 

Comments

Popular Posts