Learning My Leadership Style

Don't Settle For Being A Good Leader. Be A Real Leader

I’ve been blessed in my current job of having great bosses who’ve given me lots of room to learn and practice leadership within the firm.  Of course, as of last month, I’m now the boss, co-president with one other person to be specific.  And while my day-to-day hasn’t shifted radically due to this promotion, there is something psychologically substantial about carrying that top position.  So while I’m not new to leading within the company, here’s what I’ve learned about my own leadership style now that I more fully inhabit the boss role.

First, it’s been important for me to personally let our team members know I have their back.  I’m not done yet but have so far been able to meet one-on-one with most of our staff around three check-in topics. 

  1. One, how are you doing?  By which I mean personally and professionally, mind and body and spirit and handling workload and feeling connected and staying sane. 
  2. Two, to let folks know that in the midst of this national discussion we are having around race and equity, that I want everyone to feel they can bring their full selves to their work, in terms of their identity and causes and voice.  Which means asking what we can do better to be a more welcoming and inclusive place.  It also means normalizing conversations around race and justice.  And taking seriously suggestions on how we can do better as a firm, and where we can contribute as a firm, as well as the firm being supportive of individual efforts.
  3. Three, to ask folks what they want to accomplish in the firm and where they want to go in the firm, and whether they are getting the proper opportunities and supports to achieve that.  I want people to have room to shine, but that that’s not code for leaving them on an island without proper guidance and instruction.

Second, my temperament combined with the complexity of all you have to juggle in a small consulting practice is such that I tend to run meetings with brutal efficiency.  Not that I’m brief to the point of brusque (well maybe sometimes).  Our time is our most valuable commodity, and our time together is even scarcer, so let’s make the most of it.  Which means agendas in advance, minimize the discussion and move quickly to action during, and circulation of to-do’s after. 

Third, and related to the above point, an important part of being the person in charge is making the call.  There’s a time for delegation and a time for discussion, but more often than not it’s clear where there’s a decision to be made and you’re the one that has to make it.  Indeed, what is running a company if not simply a series of big and small decisions that are made over the course of days and months and years?  So I’m learning to think in advance about generally speaking what is important about who we are as a firm, how we want to be known, and how we want to go about our business, and then in the heat of a thousand moments when faced with a fork in the road, to decide what direction to go and move on.  After all, at the end of the day, there’s nowhere else to point the finger, for the boss has to own the action and the outcome.  Which is terrifying and tiring and exhilarating all at once. 

Comments

Popular Posts