Presidential Musings

Always bet on yourself. | Boss quotes, Sassy quotes, Girl boss quotesIt's official: I've been named one of two Co-Presidents of my firm.  I'm super humbled and thankful for the Founding Principals and current Co-Chairs of the firm for this vote of confidence in my ability to help lead the firm forward.  A few stray thoughts for now, I'm sure many more to follow as I step into this new and exciting chapter in my career:

1. I had the occasion to reach out to a few close friends and colleagues to tell them the good news in advance of the official announcement.  It was really touching how many responded with kind and generous words in response.  I also appreciated how many said some form of "let's celebrate!"  Which I needed to hear, because I hadn't gone there myself.  It's not good to just keep chugging along without taking a moment to celebrate.  But all too often I forget to.  So it was a good word and lovely sentiment for so many people to remind me and want to join me.

2. An obvious question about this promotion is what it means for my day-to-day.  On one level, not much.  I've been given ample opportunity to grow into this role so have been taking on many responsibilities that I will continue to.  And, thankfully, there will be no material reduction in my being able to work on the work of the firm, which I enjoy immensely.  That said, there's something about being president and having the buck stop at your desk, which adds a not insignificant psychological burden.  Which, I welcome the challenge, but I know there's a heaviness there, and I'll have to figure out how to carry it well.

3. I have great respect for the unique challenges that attend to being the top dog.  I've tried to be a champion, cheerleader, and supporter for those who inhabit the seat.  Recently, I was in an advisory board meeting of an organization that has a new leader, and a relatively young man at that, and we were invited to offer words of advice.  All who preceded me said things far more substantive than I could ever, so when it was my turn all I could say was "be yourself."  It occurred to me that I should be telling myself that too.  I have been lucky to have many examples of good leadership all around me, and have learned much from each role model.  It is not wrong for me to say that I am an amalgam of many characteristics borrowed from many people.  But "be yourself" means trusting that you have been given the opportunity to lead for a reason, and possess all the traits and opportunities to do so in an authentic way.  I always need to improve.  But I don't need to be anyone else but myself.  I look forward to being just that, in this new role.

Comments

Popular Posts