One Christian's Take on Cancel Culture

The Economics Of Leading In The Age Of The Cancel Culture"Cancel culture" has gotten lots of attention lately, and from both sides.  One side is done with inexcusable behavior and is saying "no more," calling it out, and forcing transgressors to suffer the fallout of their misdeeds.  Another side says it's gone way too far, either because the punishment far outstrips the crime or because it is applied to far too many people. 

I'm curious as to why there haven't been more Christian takes on this, or maybe I've missed them.  As with all social issues, this actually relates to Biblical faith.  And yet, as with too many issues, we Christians have been silent.  Or even worse than keeping our mouths shut is opening them and saying nonsense or worse.




The whole point of the Christian redemption story is that we have transgressed and need to be "cancelled" in order to be made whole again.  Romans 8:13: "For if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live."  Sin has killed us; we must kill it in order to live. 

The notion of sin, which is at the core of the Christian narrative, is a very tricky subject to broach in a secular culture.  It can be challenging to believe in the notion of sin and of consequences to sin in the environment many of us live in. Hence, I'm surprised we have not utilized the topic of "cancel culture" as an opportunity to engage society on the notion of sin.

Not that I'd claim there is a universal Christian take on "cancel culture."  But hey, my blog, my voice, so here's my take.  As an open-minded moderate, I do agree that "cancel culture" can go too far in wanting to extinguish opposing viewpoints rather than just abhorrent ones.  But I often think we don't go far enough in our cancellations, that there isn't nearly as much righteous indignation in light of how far we've erred as individuals and as a society.  And that is a very Christian sentiment, to abhor what we call sin, and to want to call it out in our lives, in the lives of others, and structural sin that is endemic to groups and institutions and society writ large. 

On the other hand (you knew I was going to use this phrase at some point, right?), it is also a very Christian sentiment to want such a stinging rebuke to lead to a literal change of heart, rather than someone's life or reputation being destroyed.  To be sure, being an unrepentant sinner means not wanting to change your ways, and that doesn't get you anywhere.  But however we call people out on their past or present misdeeds - whether forcefully or graciously, publicly or privately - what we pray for is that folks are cut to the heart and resolve to do better.  Repentance, in the Christian tradition, involves just that, a turning from bad and an actively turning to good.  So I reject a cancel culture that is about putting people down and dancing on their graves, but I embrace one that is about pushing people to see the error of their ways.

Whether you share my faith or not, you may not share my take on this, and that's ok.  My point is less that what I think is absolutely right.  My point is that this is absolutely an issue people of faith have an entry point to have an opinion on.  We all should speak up accordingly. 

Comments

Popular Posts