Give Yourself the First and Best Time

Waking up insanely early is sometimes held up as this hallowed thing that hyper-productive people do.  Those who subscribe to this practice swear by it and boast about it, while others get frustrated they can't or get irritated when it gets bandied about.

As you know, I am one of those early risers.  I do it because my days consist of a demanding job, numerous civic pursuits, and many family obligations.  If I don't make time for myself first thing in the morning - for prayer and contemplation and journaling, Bible study, exercise, and just plain having a peaceful moment to myself before the madness begins, I'm never going to get that time.




But that's me.  I don't think it matters when you do these things, just that you make time to do those things.  I do think that it is important to prioritize whatever represents self-care for you, and by "prioritize" I mean "give it the best time slot you have in your schedule."  For some, that is first thing in the morning, but for others it might be the middle of the day, to break up the day, or else the end of the day, when you finally have a moment to take stock.

I will say that there is something to be said that "best" means "first."  Symbolically, you are saying to yourself that before you head into the day - and the obligations to work and family and others that will follow - you are taking time for yourself.  Metaphorically, you are putting the oxygen mask on yourself before you help others.  To me, this seems a better motivator to waking up earlier than you're used to than some macho sense that setting your alarm for an early hour is somehow more noble.

The best life is one that is in service to others.  And the best way to that life is to give your best time, and I would argue for most of us that means your first minutes and hours, to yourself.  We've got a lot of oxygen masks to put on, and our own is the first and most important to make time to do. 

Comments

Popular Posts