My Less Uninformed But Still Ignorant Take on the 20 Most Consequential Books of the Past 20ish Years

Image result for books that changed the worldI hardly ever listen to music, enjoy movies, or watch TV, but that didn't stop me from attempting some hot takes on the most consequential music, movies, and TV of the past 30 years.  It was a fun thought exercise, even and perhaps especially because I didn't have much to go on. 

So it's strange to me that, given that I read way more than I consume music/movies/TV, the task of listing the most consequential books of recent history seemed harder to me, in that, worse than music/movies/TV, I felt way less qualified, having read so little relative to so many good books that are out there.  

Nevertheless, of course, I won't let my ignorance keep me from venturing an attempt.  As always, I welcome your reactions and suggestions.  (You might see through this as just a desperate attempt to solicit book recommendations, and you wouldn't be totally wrong.)



  1. Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ (Daniel Goleman, 1995)
  2. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies (Jared Diamond, 1997)
  3. Harry Potter series (J.K. Rowling, 1997–2007)
  4. Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community (Robert Putnam, 2001)
  5. Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal (Eric Schlosser, 2001)
  6. The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Rick Warren, 2002) 
  7. Gilead (Marilynne Robinson, 2004)
  8. The Year of Magical Thinking (Joan Didion, 2005)
  9. Half of a Yellow Sun (Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, 2006)
  10. The God Delusion (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
  11. The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (Michael Pollan, 2006)
  12. The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable (Nassim Taleb, 2007)
  13. 1Q84 (Haruki Murakami, 2011)
  14. The Better Angels of our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined (Steven Pinker, 2011)  
  15. Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn, 2012)
  16. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness (Michelle Alexander, 2012)  
  17. Capital in the Twenty-First Century (Thomas Piketty, 2013)
  18. Men We Reaped (Jesmyn Ward, 2013)
  19. Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption (Bryan Stevenson, 2014)
  20. The Hate U Give (Angie Thomas, 2017)

Comments

Popular Posts