I've blogged before about how running is a great way to get to know a city. As a public service to other urban runners, I thought I'd muse on some of my favorite urban runs (in alphabetical order); I would also highly recommend Runner's World's blurbs on about 80 cities around the world: http://www.runnersworld.com/category/1,5034,s6-188-193-0-0,00.html.
Atlanta -- I'm partial to Piedmont Park, which has lakes and curvy paths, and isn't far from Centennial Park either.
Baltimore -- Of course the Inner Harbor; running north-south on either St. Paul or Calvert to get there is nice, too.
Boston -- Both sides of the Charles River, with plenty of bridges so you can run as long or short as you like.
Chicago -- I once took the El way up north of downtown and then ran back along Lake Michigan; outstanding.
Cincinnati -- I like driving to Eden Park and then meandering my way from there to Fountain Square downtown.
Cleveland -- Running alongside Lake Erie ain't too bad.
Dallas -- Not a fun urban run: too hot, wide streets, nothing really interesting to look at.
Los Angeles -- The beach, of course.
Milwaukee -- Running alongside Lake Michigan ain't too bad.
New York -- I've walked (Central Park, Riverside Park) but never run in this city.
Niagara Falls -- The tourists might look at you funny, but it is awfully nice to have such a gorgeous view on your run.
Orlando -- I still haven't found a good route here, since everything's all spread out.
Philadelphia -- If I didn't live here, I'd go here just to run: where else can you see so much history along the way?
Phoenix -- See Dallas.
Pittsburgh -- Point State Park and lots of bridges to get you back and forth across the three rivers.
Richmond -- On a typical run, you might see Carytown and lots of statues of Confederate heroes.
San Diego -- My faves here are Balboa Park or the beach.
San Francisco -- Climb up Lombard or get lost in Golden Gate Park, or do both on the same run if you have a death wish.
San Jose -- Vasona Park is all connected now, so you can go as long or short as you want and still be on easy ground.
Seattle -- Though I was born here and have visited many times, I've never run here -- but I will when I go next year.
Toronto -- Funky parts are fun to run through, and the CN Tower is worth running to.
Washington DC -- You have to go with Rock Creek Park here, although I'm always nervous I'll find Chandra Levy's remains.
73-91 born SEA lived SJC 00 married (Amy) home (UCity) 05 Jada (PRC) 07 Aaron (ROC) 15 Asher (OKC) | 91-95 BS Wharton (Acctg Mgmt) 04-06 MPA Fels (EconDev PubFnc) 12-19 Prof GAFL517 (Fels) | 95-05 EVP Enterprise Ctr 06-12 Dir Econsult Corp 13-26 Principal Econsult Solutions 18-21 Phila School Board 19- Owner Lee A Huang Rentals LLC | Bds/Adv: Penn Weitzman, PIDC, YMCA | Mmbr: Brit Amer Project, James Brister Society
7.18.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's Long Overdue But Now Philly's Slamming
The announcement of LeBron James choosing to play for the Philadelphia 76ers for the next two years hit our fair city like a lightning b...
-
PHILADELPHIA NAMED BEST CITY FOR NEW GRADS How about Philly besting Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and every other city in America for ...
-
I recently had a humorous but telling incident on my bus ride into work. It being rush hour, the vehicle is often crowded and even standin...
No comments:
Post a Comment