Urban Runs

I've blogged before about how running is a great way to get to know a city.  As a public service to other urban runners, I thought I'd muse on some of my favorite urban runs (in alphabetical order); I would also highly recommend Runner's World's blurbs on about 80 cities around the world: http://www.runnersworld.com/category/1,5034,s6-188-193-0-0,00.html.

Atlanta -- I'm partial to Piedmont Park, which has lakes and curvy paths, and isn't far from Centennial Park either. 

Baltimore -- Of course the Inner Harbor; running north-south on either St. Paul or Calvert to get there is nice, too.

Boston -- Both sides of the Charles River, with plenty of bridges so you can run as long or short as you like. 

Chicago -- I once took the El way up north of downtown and then ran back along Lake Michigan; outstanding.

Cincinnati -- I like driving to Eden Park and then meandering my way from there to Fountain Square downtown.

Cleveland -- Running alongside Lake Erie ain't too bad.

Dallas -- Not a fun urban run: too hot, wide streets, nothing really interesting to look at.

Los Angeles -- The beach, of course.

Milwaukee -- Running alongside Lake Michigan ain't too bad.

New York -- I've walked (Central Park, Riverside Park) but never run in this city.

Niagara Falls -- The tourists might look at you funny, but it is awfully nice to have such a gorgeous view on your run.

Orlando -- I still haven't found a good route here, since everything's all spread out. 

Philadelphia -- If I didn't live here, I'd go here just to run: where else can you see so much history along the way?

Phoenix -- See Dallas.

Pittsburgh -- Point State Park and lots of bridges to get you back and forth across the three rivers.

Richmond -- On a typical run, you might see Carytown and lots of statues of Confederate heroes. 

San Diego -- My faves here are Balboa Park or the beach. 

San Francisco -- Climb up Lombard or get lost in Golden Gate Park, or do both on the same run if you have a death wish. 

San Jose -- Vasona Park is all connected now, so you can go as long or short as you want and still be on easy ground.

Seattle -- Though I was born here and have visited many times, I've never run here -- but I will when I go next year. 

Toronto -- Funky parts are fun to run through, and the CN Tower is worth running to.

Washington DC -- You have to go with Rock Creek Park here, although I'm always nervous I'll find Chandra Levy's remains.

Comments

Popular Posts