It's All Greek (and Hebrew) to Me

I have a bunch of friends who have finished seminary or are still studying, and I always marvel at how long and arduous the degree is.  One of the things that make the program so long is the Greek and Hebrew requirements.  What other Masters degree do you know where you have to learn two languages? 

I have to admit I have often wondered if all that studying of two dead languages (dead in that seminarians don't learn what modern people use but instead learn the Biblical versions) was worth the effort.  Wouldn't it make sense, I often thought in my practical way, to shave a year or two off the program and get these pastors-in-training into the ministry more quickly?  (Many of my pastor friends, no doubt recounting endless hours of Greek and Hebrew flashcards, might be nodding their heads vigorously at this point.)

But it occurs to me, as I think about it some more, that learning Biblical Greek and Hebrew is worth it.  After all, for as practical as the job of pastor is in terms of the actual work you do -- counseling people and giving talks and administering an organization -- it is all based on the Bible.  And, as with any literature, you lose something in the translation. 

Meaning that if you can go back and read the thing in the original language, you open yourself up to some breathtaking insight.  In my opinion, the Bible is best understood by modern minds when those minds can understand the original meaning, in all of its poetry and imagery and vividness.  So I'm changing my tune on the practicality of learning Greek and Hebrew, however painful it is.  I only hope and pray that our pastors-in-training can master enough of these difficult and old languages to have their eyes opened to the wonders of the Bible, and then to help open our eyes as well.

Comments

Popular Posts