Pretty in the City

Fairmount Park is one of my very favorite places in the whole wide world.  I believe it is the largest urban park in the world, and I'm sure it's one of the prettiest.  I usually bike to it because it's a good six miles away from our house, and since I haven't biked in awhile I haven't been to Fairmount Park for awhile.  But work let out early and my wife was at her sister's with our daughter, so I decided to dust off the old two-wheeler and immerse myself in some green.

 

It had probably been eight months since I was last there, and thus this was the first time I had gone since we became parents.  So there was even more of a sense of freedom and exhilaration biking the rocky path alongside the Wissahickon Creek.  When I got to one of my favorite vista points to stop and stare, it was as if my breath was taken away – and not from huffing and puffing for almost an hour.  I had forgotten just how pretty the park is.  I recalled all the other times I'd been to that very spot, sometimes because I had a big decision to make, and other times because I was down and needed a pick-up. 

 

I always left with a clearer head and a better perspective.  And so it was today.  I'll have to get into better shape so I can make this journey more often, for Fairmount Park is a really pretty part of my city.

Comments

Popular Posts