Letters to Friends

I've been reading through a translation of the New Testament called The Message.  Written by Eugene Peterson, it's supposed to be a contemporary, earthy version of the Bible.  I started in late December and I'm now I'm up to 1 Thessalonians.  Which means I'm right in the middle of Paul's various letters.

 

Given how theologically thick these epistles are, you can easily forget that they were originally written as letters to friends.  I don't know that Paul had an idea that they would be accumulated and canonized.  Not to say that he didn't write with authority; clearly he knew what was true and was very clear about spelling it out for his various audiences.

 

But reading The Message helps capture another aspect of Paul's writing style.  Certainly, there is authority and doctrine and sober calls to repentance and obedience.  But there is also intimacy, affection, and disappointment.  Paul didn't just flit around, geographically and relationally.  He and his traveling companions formed meaningful bonds with the people they helped nurture into faith and leadership. 

 

Apart from these dear friends, Paul was compelled by love and desire to write to them.  He wanted to know how they were doing.  He wanted them to know he was thinking of them, even agonizing over them, in his daily prayers.  He rebukes and exhorts and encourages and compliments not as a cold and distant executive but as a close and cherished friend. 

 

I am challenged by Paul's words, not just in what he is telling us is true and to be lived by, but in the emotion and commitment that is displayed in them.  I am grateful for the many dear friends God has put in my life, and hope to be as dedicated as Paul is to keeping in touch with them. 

Comments

Popular Posts