PREACHING AND PEOPLE

Bart Campolo, founder of an urban ministry called Kingdom Works whose motto is “love God, love people – nothing else matters,” is fond of asking people to think of five sermons that impacted their spiritual lives, and then to think of five people who have impacted their spiritual lives. The point being that it is much easier to think of the five people, and that what’s important, then, in making a difference for the kingdom is meaningful and authentic relationships.

I couldn’t agree more. But one of the things I enjoy doing is public speaking. When I get a chance to speak to a group and I do well, it’s a wonderful feeling, because I feel happy not that I’m this great speaker but that God spoke through me and I got to be a part of it. Genuine moments of doing a good job and not having sinful pride creep in are a true delight, and public speaking is one of those avenues for me.

So given that what Bart is saying is really true – that words aren’t nearly as impactful as relationships – what am I going for when I speak to a group? What is it that I want to accomplish? I used to want to speak with such eloquence, spirit, and authority that people would have life-altering experiences and think back to my words as a turning point in their spiritual journeys. Obviously, God still does do this kind of work; I can think of a handful of talks that have absolutely changed my life. But such incidents are rare.

Instead, I now ask God to get me in between whatever it is He wants to say and we need to hear. Sometimes, that means that not a whole lot happens: some people are encouraged, and others scratch their heads. And sometimes, that means that a lot happens: the “penny” drops for people and groups, and powerful truths that were just a hair away are now at hand. But most of all, it’s on God to work or not work, according to His sometimes mysterious but always perfect ways. Also important is that a talk is but a piece of that work that He is working in peoples’ lives. Maybe it leads to follow-up conversations. Maybe someone can build on a truth when they study the Bible later on or talk to a Christian friend. Maybe those who were scratching their heads at the time go through something later on in life and that truth comes into clearer focus.

Whether and how God chooses to work, I pray I’d keep preaching, listening, and relating.

Comments

Popular Posts