MY WIFE CHIMES IN

My wife was so worked up about the Terri Schiavo situation that when I got home from the grocery store, she asked me if I could help her call our congressperson. We decided instead to send him an email. I’ve enclosed it below.

***

I am writing regarding the bill that is to be signed in Congress allowing the feeding tube for Terri Schiavo to be reinserted while awaiting the federal court appeal from her parents. While I can not imagine the immense sorrow and pain her parents must be feeling, I can also not fathom that our government would step into this situation so personally, immediately, and blatantly. This bill, reinserting the tube is unconstitutional at best. I wish for a world that is peaceful, supports life, and honors what is good, but I believe those things CANNOT come at the price of infringement on privacy and basic constitutional rights. Please set aside the emotion of the moment, which personally I think is the media's fault in part, and do not allow this bill to pass. It sets a dangerous precedent. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Comments

motorbelly said…
I agree with you, and I can't believe we voted these nuts into office.

Our government has clear purposes, and this is not one of them. For President Bush to fly back to be available for signing this shows his 'showboating' interest is for political gain (as he perceives it, I hope it backfires) and is not as he claims for the benefit of Terri.

It is sad.
Unknown said…
Wow. I had only previously found conservative Christian critics of the Terri Shiavo situation that didn't make much sense, nor showed much humanity. I agree fully with the letter you sent to your congressperson. Thanks for doing that.

Popular Posts