NEW MEN IN MY LIFE

Over the last couple of years, one of my best friends passed away, another moved to the Midwest, and yet another moved to South Asia. I knew back then that I was rich in strong male friendship, and I am glad that I did not take for granted those dear friends, even though I wish they were nearer to me now.

As 2004 became 2005, I knew I would need to replace some of that healthy male sharpening in my life. And I am happy to report that God has blessed me in this area.

I meet with some of the men in my church on Wednesday mornings for Bible study and prayer. I cannot begin to tell you how good it is for my soul to meet regularly with strong Christian men, most of whom are older than me. There is a lot of wisdom and compassion in these gatherings, and I am gladly soaking it all in.

I also meet every other week with one of my best friends from college. We were roommates for about three years. He is a dear brother in the faith and is on his way to becoming a pastor. When Amy and I first got married, he actually lived in our third floor apartment, and then when he got married he moved to an apartment barely two blocks away. And yet during that time that we are so geographically close to each other, we never seemed to make the time to catch up. When he and his wife moved to the suburbs last year, I regretted that I had not taken the initiative to see him more often, good as he is for me in his encouragement and friendship.

Well, the suburbs are not that far away, and earlier this year we were both thinking we ought to make the time to meet regularly to pray and to hold each other accountable in areas of sin that we seek to improve in. So we have done just that, meeting every two weeks to pray for and sharpen one another. It has truly been a blessing for the both of us to meet together with God.

Each new day brings different waves of grieving over old friends that have gone or are far away. But I am thankful to God for the new men He has placed in my life to strengthen and encourage me. And I am thankful to God for a final reunion someday, with all of the important men – and women – who have sharpened me and made me a better Christian.

Comments

Popular Posts