THE MIDDLE MANAGER’S DILEMMA

We did a simple management activity in class today. Though it took but fifteen minutes, it had my mind racing, for it underscored all of the goals middle managers have to balance. During this short activity, and in the midst of many management-related tasks at work, these are the following agendas that are criss-crossing my brain for priority and worry:

Building camaraderie with others at my level.

Clarifying for subordinates big-picture goals into tangible tasks.

Determining how the task helps my own career trajectory.

Disciplining slackers.

Ensuring that everyone participates and no one feels left out.

Getting the job done.

Having fun.

Improving the overall organization.

Making subordinates feel good about their work.

Pleasing my superior.

Pushing subordinates to stretch and grow professionally.

Unleashing my creative side.

That’s a lot of things to keep track of! Such is the dilemma of the middle manager. If only I had the power of the top dogs, or could be like the bottom dogs and just do my job and go home.

But the good leaders understand this kind of meta-management; they can step outside of the immediate pressures and see all of those dynamics listed above and orchestrate them in ways that improve themselves and others and add value to their organizations. I too hope to be able to think and act this way.

Comments

Popular Posts