CUSTOMER SERVICE, CALIFORNIA STYLE

I experienced a bit of culture shock yesterday at the Blockbuster. My wife and I are in California visiting my family over the holidays. We decided to rent a couple of movies. But when I got home and popped one of the cases open, I noticed that there was a disc missing from a two-disc set. So I made plans to head back to the Blockbuster to fix the situation.

As I neared the store, I went over in my head all of the possible scenarios. I feared they’d think I lifted the disc, or that they would shrug their shoulders, or that they’d find that second disc but do it in a huff. I made up my mind that I wasn’t going to let any of those things happen, and, putting my meanest face on, strutted into the store.

“Yeah, I rented this movie, and when I got home I noticed there was a disc missing,” I said in my most annoyed voice possible. I braced for a fight.

“Oh, look at that! We’re so sorry, sir. Let me get that fixed for you right away.”

Come again? The young man was nice, apologetic, and prompt. A minute later, he had found another set of my movie, rang it up, and apologized again as I left the store. I was a little stunned, not sure what to make of such a positive customer service experience. Not to cap on Philly too much, but it had been awhile since I’d be so nicely treated by someone behind a counter.

Coincidentally, this morning in my personal Bible study time I read from the Sermon on the Mount where Jesus talks about how we ought to love our enemy and turn the other cheek. Christians are to be different, seems to be His point; anyone can love their friend and return good for good, but the Christian is to be peculiar in this world with her kindness and generosity. Perhaps the retail corollary to this profound lesson is: distinguish yourself by how you treat upset customers. Even those who are trying to have their mean face on.

Comments

Popular Posts