MORE BROWNIES

I had two of my close guy friends over last night to catch up and pray. Afterwards, we convened in the kitchen and I offered them brownies my wife had made that evening. Jokingly, I told them that it was with great reluctance that I was sharing these brownies, because every square they ate was one less I could eat. Continuing with the sarcasm, I told them I found consolation in the fact that I was married to the maker of the brownies, which meant that even if we ate all of the ones she made that evening, there was a good chance she’d make more later that I’d be able to enjoy.

It occurred to me then that this was a profound parable for God’s hospitality and ours. Christians, after all, are commanded to be hospitable, not just because we’re nice or it’s the nice thing to do, but because we know the source and maker of all that we have in our possession to share.

Sometimes I can be a stingy bastard. Like the pile of tasty brownies on my kitchen table, my possessions can tend to feel scarce, and every item I share with someone else is one less I can enjoy for myself. It will be good for me in those moments to remember that as I am married to a wonderful woman who can make incredibly delicious brownies, so am I in relationship with a God who has provided me with everything I have and who can and will provide more as I am faithful to Him to share my possessions with others.

Comments

Popular Posts