SEEING THE PRESIDENT

I drove out to York with three other Asian-American professionals yesterday afternoon to attend a rally for George Bush. Besides us, I counted three other minorities in a sea of 5,000 rabid supporters. This part of the state is very white and very Republican, and Bush soaked in the adoration. His bus pulled right into the auditorium and he made his way to the podium while “Eye of the Tiger” blared on the PA and the crowds cheered lustily.

His forty-minute speech was punctuated by countless interruptions for applause and standing ovations. The biggest cheers came when he hammered away at the point of taking decisive action against terrorism “so that American will be safer.” While I applaud the President’s resolute attitude when it comes to the war on terror, I wonder if we could have an even greater cause to shoot for: not just our own security, but the triumph of liberty for all the nations. But here in the heart of rural Pennsylvania, hearing that we have a president who will step up to protect us and our families was what got us out of our seats.

I also appreciated the President’s consistency. While his previous and current opponents ran jumbled campaigns with mixed messages, Bush stayed on point. Like or hate him, at least you know where he stands and what he’s about. You could boil his platform down to a few key phrases: homeland security, lower taxes, and pro-growth economic policies. Frankly, I couldn’t tell you what Kerry’s message is, except that he’s not Bush.

All in all, I’d have to say I applauded about two-thirds of Bush’s message. I too am morally and fiscally conservative, and appreciate the accountability he is shooting for in the corporate boardroom and the classroom. I like his big thinking when it comes to foreign policy, but am queasy that he comes off as the kind of American the world hates: the one who is Ameri-centric, who doesn’t quite always take the time to understand things from someone else’s perspective. On a related note, I listened in vain for a word about the plight of Asians, blacks, and Hispanics in our country, though I can see why he excluded it from his speech, seeing as there weren’t any in the audience to hear it.

Outside, Bush-haters and Kerry supporters filled the walkway into the auditorium with clever signs and heated invective. At one point in the procession, the protesters were on both sides as I walked calmly between them. One pointed a camera at me, so I blew him a kiss, which seemed to rile the crowd up even more.

While the drive was long and the lines longer, I am glad I took the time to see the President. It was a window into his vision, into a part of America I’m not as familiar with, and into a level of security I’m not used to being directly affected by.

Comments

DJ Chuang said…
very happy to find a fellow blogger, at times I feel like you felt at the Bush rally, that there are fewer minority voices in the blogosphere compared to the rabid sea of bloggers, who are largely Anglo.. sigh..

Popular Posts