THERE’S NO PLACE LIKE HOME

I got a chance to be on live TV this morning. NBC has a show called “Live @ Issue” where they bring in politicians, economists, and other leaders to discuss the pressing issues of the day. David Thornburgh, Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Economy League and the person who invited me onto his leadership delegation to Phoenix earlier this month, was asked to be on the show to talk about our Phoenix trip, and he asked me to accompany him.

The half-hour show breezed by, as David and I engaged with the host, Terry Ruggles, in conversation related to Phoenix’s growth, brain gain vs. brain drain, and Philly politics. Just when we were all worked up over hot issues like wage taxes and minority business formation, the half-hour was over and we were being sent home.

I enjoyed the exposure and the dialogue, but left feeling a little conflicted. Some times, the Philly-bashing seemed too much and I wanted to blurt out, “But Philly has a lot going for it!” And other times, the Philly-bashing seemed just right and I wanted to glare into the camera and tell all the politicians here, “Listen up and get your act together!” As I am exposed to more of Philadelphia’s issues, I am simultaneously energized and deflated. The possibilities make my heart beat fast, and the challenges stir up my fighting spirit. But I also sense the frustration of people far greater than I who have given up, and wonder whether this is a fight I have the will and stamina for.

I find myself on orbitz.com and runnersworld.com often lately, searching for cheap fares and looking at recommended urban runs in different cities around the country. I almost wish it was my job to fly into a city for a weekend, run around for a little bit (literally and figuratively), and then talk to people about it. But then another part of me desires to never have to travel, to start a family and walk my kids to school and be home by 5.

Because I’ve traveled a fair amount, it doesn’t take long for me to feel at home wherever I go. And because I love Philadelphia and have planted roots here, I consider it home in every sense of the word. But on another, deeper level, I feel like a man without a home, stranded as it were in a world that will never truly be my home. Remind me, O LORD, that my home is in heaven, where there is no more crime for the conservatives to wring their hands over and no injustice for the liberals to squawk about. And gird me for Your purposes here on earth, that while I have days left in my life and fire left in my belly I might expect great things of You and accomplish great things for You.

Comments

Popular Posts