HE WHO HAS AUTHORITY OVER THE WEATHER

I was planning on posting something this evening, to document the crazy day I'd just gone through. For as I looked at my schedule this morning, I realized I had eight meetings scheduled, going from 8:00am until 10:00pm. And the meetings ran the gamut of activities that my life consists of -- speaking at a board meeting, attending a reception, hosting an open house for parents of participating students, even loading donated books into our storage room -- so I figured to describe the day would be a great way to document what my life is like in September 2003.

But Isabel got in the way.

Hurricane Isabel has hit areas much harder than ours, but the domino effect of panic and caution has caused meetings to get cancelled, and in turn for me to cancel a couple of meetings I myself had called. And so here I am in the office, during a pocket of time I'd carved out a month before to orient advanced-level students in our after-school program, all of a sudden with time on my hands. So I blog.

The irony is that I read in my morning devotions about a Savior who was asleep in a boat while His disciples screamed at the top of their lungs for Him to arise and help them navigate the choppy seas. Jesus arose, more annoyed that His disciples didn't quite get that He had authority even over the winds and waves than that someone had interrupted His nap; and with a hearty rebuke, the storm subsided.

It's days like today, when I've packed meeting after meeting only to have most of them postponed due to weather, that I am reminded that there is a God who has authority to bring the wind and waves as well as calm them. And I am humbled, put in my place where I ought to be.

Comments

Popular Posts