I HAD MY CHANCE
I've been reading John in my morning devotions. I got to the part when Jesus has an encounter at the well with a Samaritan woman. It was the same passage that was used in the sermon yesterday at our Sunday morning service. Both times, the main theme I heard loud and clear was that the fields were ripe with harvest. I decided God was telling me to keep my eyes open, and I prayed for an opportunity to either reap or sow.
Later that morning, I went for a brisk run, on one of my regular routes which takes me past City Hall and the Art Museum. I decided to cut my route off a little short so I could stop by a produce truck in my neighborhood (I had stuck a $5 bill in my socks). As I crossed my imaginary finish line and slowed to a walk, I looked down at my stopwatch. I was pleased with my time, especially as I had strained my back late last week and had told myself this morning that I would take it easy on this run.
Just then, a suspicious-looking guy began to approach me. I was in a neighborhood in which I often get accosted for change. There is even one woman who frequents this area who has told me and/or my friends three different stories about her daughter's recent passing over the past five years. I tried not to make eye contact, but the suspicious-looking guy hollered over to me and said, "Hey, let me ask you a question." I turned my head quickly towards him and said, "I'm in a hurry," and darted down the street.
Just that instant, the passage that I had studied this morning came to mind. By then, I was well on my way away from the guy. But I wondered if that was the answer to my prayer. Was that guy who I wrote off as a scam artist or even worse the very person God was sending in my direction, that I might either reap or sow? Was that suspicious-looking man Jesus Himself, waiting to be served and shown mercy? I don't know.
73-91 born SEA lived SJC 00 married (Amy) home (UCity) 05 Jada (PRC) 07 Aaron (ROC) 15 Asher (OKC) | 91-95 BS Wharton (Acctg Mgmt) 04-06 MPA Fels (EconDev PubFnc) 12-19 Prof GAFL517 (Fels) | 95-05 EVP Enterprise Ctr 06-12 Dir Econsult Corp 13-26 Principal Econsult Solutions 18-21 Phila School Board 19- Owner Lee A Huang Rentals LLC | Bds/Adv: Penn Weitzman, PIDC, YMCA | Mmbr: Brit Amer Project, James Brister Society
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
On the Folly of Rewarding "A" While Hoping for "B"
Leaving the comforts of suburban San Jose on the West Coast to attend college at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia on the Eas...
-
PHILADELPHIA NAMED BEST CITY FOR NEW GRADS How about Philly besting Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and every other city in America for ...
-
Prior to my trip to Italy earlier this month, I hadn't left the continent since 2005 when Amy and I flew to China to pick up Jada. I l...
No comments:
Post a Comment