I HAD MY CHANCE

I've been reading John in my morning devotions. I got to the part when Jesus has an encounter at the well with a Samaritan woman. It was the same passage that was used in the sermon yesterday at our Sunday morning service. Both times, the main theme I heard loud and clear was that the fields were ripe with harvest. I decided God was telling me to keep my eyes open, and I prayed for an opportunity to either reap or sow.

Later that morning, I went for a brisk run, on one of my regular routes which takes me past City Hall and the Art Museum. I decided to cut my route off a little short so I could stop by a produce truck in my neighborhood (I had stuck a $5 bill in my socks). As I crossed my imaginary finish line and slowed to a walk, I looked down at my stopwatch. I was pleased with my time, especially as I had strained my back late last week and had told myself this morning that I would take it easy on this run.

Just then, a suspicious-looking guy began to approach me. I was in a neighborhood in which I often get accosted for change. There is even one woman who frequents this area who has told me and/or my friends three different stories about her daughter's recent passing over the past five years. I tried not to make eye contact, but the suspicious-looking guy hollered over to me and said, "Hey, let me ask you a question." I turned my head quickly towards him and said, "I'm in a hurry," and darted down the street.

Just that instant, the passage that I had studied this morning came to mind. By then, I was well on my way away from the guy. But I wondered if that was the answer to my prayer. Was that guy who I wrote off as a scam artist or even worse the very person God was sending in my direction, that I might either reap or sow? Was that suspicious-looking man Jesus Himself, waiting to be served and shown mercy? I don't know.

Comments

Popular Posts