THE IMPORTANCE OF ISOLATION

In "The Making of a Leader," Bobby Clinton describes different checkpoints that God uses to develop Christian leaders. There are some obvious ones, like experimenting with one's spiritual gifts, or having your ministry responsibilities increase. One that isn't so obvious is the the role of isolation in deepening faith. Clinton describes forms of isolation (extended illness, imprisonment, time off for education) and recounts isolation experienced by Watchman Nee (who took a break from a successful ministry to start a business) and Amy Carmichael (who took a break from a successful ministry to be under the tutelage of a Christian leader).

I found that section of the book to be quite useful, given my action orientation and overall drivenness. It is good to be reminded that ministry success is based on God's moving on my life and not my moving as fast as possible, better still to be reminded that ministry to begin with is a grace received from God and not something secured by my exertion and initiative.

Sure enough, I can look back on four isolation experiences I've had, and point to lessons learned and faith matured as a result of them. I spent three months in Eastern Europe one summer, away from all my friends and family, and learned to feed myself from God's word. I spent over a year in a state of low-level depression in my early twenties, and learned that my walk with God has less to do with my grip on Him and more to do with His grip on me.

When I first got started in urban youth ministry, I made a promise to myself and the other adults with whom I worked that for the first year, I would only listen, that I would not take the initiative or contribute any ideas. I'm glad I disciplined myself to listen first and speak second; as a result, I've found sometimes that it's best not to speak at all.

And this past year, I've been away from the office, while my team runs the youth entrepreneurship program without me. As I prepare to return, I couldn't be happier with the result of this self-imposed isolation. My staff has flourished in their new responsibilities. I return with a clearer head, ready to lead by working smarter and not just harder. And everyone's excited by the reunion of the team and by the plans we've made for the upcoming program year.

Isolation is still hard for me. Like a caged football player, I want to charge out there and hit someone. God, in His infinite wisdom, sees fit to have me next to Him on the sideline: watching the play develop, seeing how skilled are my teammates, understanding His game plan and how my little piece of the work fits in. Slowly, I am learning not to be antsy, not to just count down the days and minutes until I get on the playing field; but to be still next to my Master and Lord, learning how to just be.

Comments

Popular Posts