WHERE IS MY TIME GOING?

I am on sabbatical from going into the office and punching in the 8, 9, 10 hours I used to do every day, five days a week, fifty weeks a year. Amy and I don't have any kids, just each other. And yet, somehow, I am completely busy and I never see my wife. How is this possible?

Let me recreate today's activities, hour by hour:

4-5a Amy get up and gets ready for work, Lee sleeps
5-6a Amy drives to work and starts her work day, Lee sleeps
6a-6p Amy is at work
6-7a Lee tries to get up and fails repeatedly
7-8a Lee finally gets up, showers, has his morning devotions, and grabs a quick bite
8-8:30a Lee rides the subway downtown
8:30-10:30a Lee sits in on the Philadelphia Children's Alliance's board meeting (I'm thinking about sitting on this board)
10:30-11a Lee rides the subway back to West Philadelphia
11-12p Lee has a cardiology appointment (I had a funny echo in December, but today, doc says I'm OK)
12-1p Lee walks home, has lunch
1-3:30p Lee is on the phone with Internet retailers that have double-charged him for purchases (darn them!)
3:30-6:30p Lee catches up on email, mail, and phone calls to potential clients for consulting business
6-7p Amy drives home
6:30-8:30p Lee attends missions conference meeting at church
7-8p Amy has dinner, watches TV
8p Amy goes to bed
8:30p-9p Lee walks home, changes into PJ's, takes out garbage
9p-10p Lee prays with his accountability partner, Glenn
10p-10:30p Lee eats dinner (finally!) with Glenn, who also hasn't had dinner yet

Which brings us to the present. Let me repeat that I am not going to work, and I am not taking care of kids. I plan to do both in the future; how the heck am I going to have the time to do all of this? I realize I have a problem with overpacking my schedule. I realize that if I say yes to something, I have to say no to something else. But I am incredulous that a day could go by like today -- a day that I didn't put in 8, 9, 10 hours in the office, a day that I didn't have any babies to feed or kids to rush off to soccer practice -- where I wake up at 7am and don't eat dinner til 10pm.

God, help me to get what I need to get done, done, and help me to clean some things off my plate, and help me to know the difference between the two.

Comments

Popular Posts