WALKING THROUGH THE WILDERNESS SEASONS WITH A FRIEND

I got a call from a college buddy of mine this afternoon. One of his housemates, who we'll call Ben, has been depressed for the past few years, and has become particularly suicidal this month. Besides Ben's therapist and psychiatrist, my friend is the only other person who is aware of Ben's situation. My friend asked me what I thought he should do. I could tell he was asking partly for Ben's sake, but also for his own sake, so that he didn't have to feel alone in caring for his friend. I was honored that he would look to me for support and advice.

He told me he had talked with Ben about a plan for safety; i.e., "if you feel like you're going to hurt yourself, call me." And he told me he wanted to ask Ben if there were others in the church they both attend who he felt comfortable letting into his situation. I told my friend these were two wise moves. I was dismayed to hear my friend say that Ben was reluctant to share his situation with some of his Christian friends, because some had judged him for not being able to pray his way out of his depression, or for turning to prescribed anti-depressants rather than attending a healing service.

When will people, Christians of all, realize that mental illness is as biological and physical as having a stroke or catching pneumonia or breaking a bone? Because my wife is in the mental health profession, I have joined her on this crusade to enlighten an ignorant society. And because we are both Christians who believe in the love of God in the midst of wilderness seasons, we stand disgusted at Christians who demonize mental illness and question the faith of those who most need love and acceptance.

I'd like to keep this entry short, but I fear I have opened a floodgate of rantings. I could go on. But I won't. What is important for today's entry is that my friend seeks to be as supportive as possible to Ben, as Ben walks through this wilderness season. And I seek to help my friend to play that role of friend and supporter, in a way that does not drain him but that draws him closer in his limitations to the God who is without limits in love and wisdom.

The message of the gospel is that while evil may co-exist with us for a season, it has been defeated for eternity by a Savior who triumphed not with guns or shouts but with meek submission and sacrificial love. And the message of the gospel is also the messenger of the gospel: Jesus of Nazareth, who comforts us in all affliction, walks with us in wilderness times, and gives us faith and courage and hope and purpose to walk with others in their wilderness times. By His grace and strength, I am privileged to walk this walk with my friend, who seeks by that same grace and strength to walk this walk with Ben.

Comments

Popular Posts