Social Media Diet


65+ Social Networking Sites You Need to Know About in 2020 - Make ...Every once in a while, I like to document how I approach social media.  Here’s where I am as of now.  Note that the sites below are the most popular in the world by users; obviously there are others, but at this time I don’t interact with them.









Facebook
·         Posting – Blogs I write get posted here, as do Instagram photos I take.  Occasionally I also post business items (cross-posted on LinkedIn and Twitter), social justice thoughts (cross-posted on Twitter), and family musings (cross-posted on Twitter).  If folks add comments, I usually respond either with a thumbs up or a response.
·         Consumption – Less often than I’d like, I’ll scroll through to see what people are up to and click through on articles folks have suggested.  I wish I had more time to join any resulting discussions in the comments by liking or commenting on posts.
·         As of now I have about 1,700 friends.

YouTube
·         Posting – I post videos here (which then get posted on Twitter).  I almost never engage with anyone who posts comments.
·         Consumption – I watch a ton here.  Common genres: acapella music, chess tutorials, sports highlights, Sudoku strategies.  However, I do not subscribe to anyone nor do I post comments. 
·         As of now I have fewer than 100 subscribers.

WhatsApp – I do not use.

Messenger – A relatively frequent way I communicate with folks, in some cases because it’s the only form I have available and in other cases because of the immediacy/intimacy of doing so.

WeChat – I use sparingly, exclusively for infrequent connections with work colleagues in China.

Instagram
·         Posting – Personal and work photos get posted here, and then cross-posted on Facebook and Twitter.  If folks add comments, I usually respond either with a thumbs up or a response.
·         Consumption – I follow a relatively small number of users, all photographers of either nature or cities.  I’ve never liked nor commented on a post.
·         As of now I have about 400 followers and I follow about 40 users.

QQ – I do not use.

Tumblr – I do not use.

Qzone – I do not use.

Tik Tok – I do not use.  My kids are on this all the time.

Sina Weibo – I do not use.

Twitter
·         Posting – Blogs I write get posted here, as do Instagram photos I take.  Occasionally I also post business items (cross-posted on LinkedIn and Facebook), social justice thoughts (cross-posted on Facebook), and family musings (cross-posted on Facebook).  Sometimes I’ll reply when people comment.
·         Consumption – I regularly scroll through my feed, which consists of a mish-mosh of social commentary, news sites, and friends/colleagues.  I don’t like or comment on posts, but I’ll sometimes retweet (usually with a comment).
·         As of now I have fewer than 800 followers and I follow about 200 accounts.

Reddit – I do not use.

Baidu Tieba – I do not use.

LinkedIn
·         Posting – I make sure my profile is up to date.  Occasionally I also post business items (cross-posted on Twitter and Facebook).  Sometimes I’ll reply when people comment.
·         Consumption – I scroll through my feed, though less often than Twitter, and will sometimes share posts.
·         As of now I have about 3,000 connections.

Viber – I do not use.

Snapchat – I do not use, although I once had an account.

Pinterest – I do not use.

Line – I do not use.

Telegram – I do not use.

Medium – I set up my RSS Feed so that my blog posts get posted here automatically, otherwise I do not use.

Comments

Popular Posts