Idols in Front of Me

I've been reading through the last book of the Bible, Revelation, in my morning times with God.  Contrary to popular notion, the dominant theme is not crazy imagery or obscure prophecy but rather the transcendent glory of God. 

 

In the passage I read this morning, the author gets a glimpse of worship in heaven, and it is awesome.  Myriads of angels and creatures and elders.  Bowing down over and over again before God.  Crediting God with supreme holiness and worthiness.    

 

I could not help but join in.  Although I am not usually an expressive (in Christian circles, you might call it "charismatic") worshipper, I decided to get on my knees right there at my desk.  It felt as if I was joining this worship scene described in the text, albeit with a fuzzy perspective into the scene.  It was good to render to God the awe that is due His presence.

 

While still on my knees, I opened my eyes, and immediately noticed that I was looking directly at the three things I have up on my desk: a schedule, a list of goals for the year, and a picture of Jada.  I thought at once about how these three items represent the three things that are easy for me to put in God's place in terms of what I order my life around: my time management, my accomplishments, and my daughter.  

 

It was a good thing I was on my knees.  I stayed there, thanking God for these three things and asking for more of His blessing in these three areas.  Also, praying that He would keep me from making them idols that I would put ahead of Him; that I would be ever mindful of His Lordship over my life, even and especially in my time management, my accomplishments, and my daughter. 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts