FINALLY DONE

I admit it: I’m a bit of a workaholic. I’m in perpetual motion at work from the second I walk in to the second I leave. When I get home, I’ve got to hit the books for my classes. On the weekends, I catch up on an ever-growing list of domestic, house, and personal chores. Even the things I do for “fun” have a purpose to them: crossword puzzles to keep my mind sharp, and running to keep my body sharp.

Right or wrong, I don’t know that I’ll ever be comfortable doing something completely for fun, like walking a dog or watching a movie. In my mind, there’s too much that I want to accomplish, too much I need to improve in my life, too much in the world that needs to be made right.

It is a double-edged sword. It is good to be fully allocated for the kingdom, to use a favorite phrase of mine. This world is full of half-Christians living half-Christian lives making zero difference for eternity. But it is not good to be so driven as to not rest, to not bask in life, to not tolerate non-workers as lazy.

I understand that it is right and wrong to be like I am. I take comfort in the fact – the absolute, sure fact – that someday soon, there will be a final judgment, and everything will be made right. And on that day, there won’t be anything around me or in me that I’ll feel I need to accomplish anymore, because everything and everyone will be just as it supposed to be.

I understand why the last prayer in the Bible is “come, Lord Jesus,” for the best saints long for that day to come. Come, Lord Jesus.

Comments

Popular Posts