Asian Representation Matters


 

In my professional life, I have often been the sole Asian American in the room. It is an identity and burden I do not shy from. But nor would I say it is my primary objective in the moment to represent this particular perspective. Nor will it likely be, going forward. But, I do want to be more mindful of this aspect of my public life, and do my best to lend my voice to help others.

Case in point was my time on the school board here in Philadelphia. My entire time I served, I was the only Asian American on the board. (For a while, I was the only male!) Yet, while I did try to pay particular attention to the challenges and concerns of my fellow Asian Americans, that was never elevated above my focus on making sure all students and families were getting a fair shake. And, given the ways we have historically marginalized the Black and Hispanic communities in our system, oftentimes that warranted my attention and that of my fellow board members, and that was appropriate.

But Asian representation matters. I am truly humbled when advocates in the local Asian American community thank me to this day for helping make sure Lunar New Year became a district-wide holiday so that families could celebrate together. It is no exaggeration to say that my role in making this happen is vastly dwarfed by the advocacy of so many others in this city. 

I know that when people are generous in their compliments, you should just graciously accept them rather than deflecting. But in this case, I deflected a lot. I did not feel I had earned the kind words. 

And I still don't. But, however tiny a difference I might have made in advocating for this calendar move, which has ended up being so cherished as a result, I take pride in having made that difference. It happened while I served on the board, and was something I played a small part in making happen, and I'm glad that I was able to do that. So while the exceedingly higher proportion of credit is due to many others who worked far harder and longer than I did, my representation played a part and I humbly accept that and take pride in it.

And, it is a reminder that when given other chances to use my voice to help others I ought to do it. Sometimes it will be for people who are different from me. And sometimes it will be for my fellow Asian Americans. Because if I am given a chance to advocate, to be a voice, to represent representation, then I owe it to others to step into that opportunity.

Comments

Popular Posts