Recommended Reads, 39th in a Quarterly Series


 

 

Stuff I'd recommend from the past three months:

A Lab of One's Own: One Woman's Personal Journey Through Sexism in Science (Colwell).  You know women are discriminated against in traditionally male fields but reading individual accounts underscores how pervasive and infuriating it is.

Riding the Iron Rooster: By Train Through China (Theroux).  A classic.  Makes me want to train through China, too, to see what's the same and what's changed.

How to Be an Antiracist (Kendi).  I probably need to re-read, since I read through half of a physical copy months ago and then picked up the second half from the library via Kindle.

That Bird Has My Wings: The Autobiography of an Innocent Man on Death Row (Masters).  I was not expecting this to move me as much as it did, to hear about all he went through in his childhood.

Disposable City: Miami's Future on the Shores of Climate Catastrophe (Ariza).  I adore Miami, and now I feel like I know it on a deeper level (figuratively and literally).

Black Spartacus: The Epic Life of Toussaint Louverture (Hazareesingh).  Amazing to read about this parallel revolution to America's and France's.

Comments

Popular Posts