This Has Everything to Do with Race


Picking up on yesterday's post, let me again wade into the Trump vs. NFL controversy, and let me again not talk about the controversy itself but use it as a springboard to make a different, broader point.  Specifically, I want to pick up on this notion that “this has nothing to do with race.” 


Oh, where to start.  I suppose there are people who honestly think this, which I consider willfully (albeit probably blissfully) ignorant.  I also suppose there are people who realize that race is in the mix on this issue, but have been so trained to be afraid of race that they reflexively have to say “this has nothing to do with race.”  Finally, I also suppose there are people who realize that race is in the mix on this issue, but their larger point is “this is not primarily about race.”  Which may or may not be true, but if you believe it to be true then you ought to say that rather than saying “this has nothing to do with race.” 

In modern-day America, many things primarily have to do with race and very few things have nothing to do with race.  I am disappointed but no longer surprised when I find myself in settings where people don’t acknowledge this.

Let me give you an example, which I am blurring for discretion’s sake but I assure you that some permutation of this situation has come up more times than I can remember.  I have been asked to join a group that is coming up with nominees for a leadership committee.  Various candidates have been advanced, and their credentials evaluated against the criteria for being a leader.  I don’t jump in immediately, but when it is clear that more than half of the discussion has taken place, I feel compelled to chime in to say that given the importance of diversity and inclusion to the work of this leadership committee, we should be mindful of what the racial composition of our preferred slate signals to different audiences.  There is nervous, indifferent acknowledgement from the rest of the group, with the exception of the only other person of color around the table, who heartily agrees with my statement, and thanks me for raising an issue she had previously been the sole representative raising among the group. 

To be honest, I am tired of playing the “second person of color” role in groups, just as I am sure this other person is tired of playing the “first person of color” role in the same groups.  She shouldn’t have to feel like if she doesn’t say something, it won’t get said.  And I shouldn’t have to feel like if I don’t say something, there’s only going to be one person raising the issue and it’ll be the same person every time. 

Don’t get me wrong: I will continue to speak up, and I suspect she will too.  We’d just like to hear some other voices too.  Groups need to have more diversity on them, so that it isn’t just one or two of us.  But even groups that aren’t very diverse, even groups that aren’t diverse at all, should be able to raise a diversity of issues.  Wake up and speak up!

Comments

Popular Posts