Thinking Out Loud about Thinking Out Loud

Every Thursday I like to post an old-school song lyric to see if folks can figure out what the song is.  These "#TBT" posts often lead to fun conversation threads, as we reminisce about a good tune and how it takes us back to old times and fond memories.

A lot of these posts involve 80's power ballads.  I swear that when I was in junior high, there was a really high number and proportion of good slow songs.  I tell you, junior high dances were just the best, just good slow song after good slow song, increasing your chances that you'd get to share four minutes of closeness with that cute girl you'd been pining after for months.  (FWIW my favorite has to be REO Speedwagon's "Can't Fight This Feeling.")

Of course, memory has a way of playing tricks on us.  Is it that every era has good slow songs, but somehow I've remembered more from my childhood than I can think of among today's music?  It seems like there just aren't that many good slow songs today.   But this could just be me pooh-poohing the present and glorifying the past.

One thing's for sure: Ed Sheeran's "Thinking Out Loud" is one legit slow song from today's era.  It has a sweet, goose-bump-inducing, and timeless sound to it.  Let's hope I can sneak in a slow dance to it with Amy today.




Comments

Popular Posts