It's Pretty Here

For the longest time, Philadelphia has been known as a dirty city.  Out-of-town friends and family would tease me about living in "Filthadelphia," and I had to admit we had our share of garbage swirling around on the streets and catching in trees.  Whenever I visited another urban center, I always marveled at how clean it was.   I was a little envious, but accepted the dinginess of my new hometown as part of its colorful charm.

But don't look now, Philadelphia is bursting forth with prettiness.  The city has greened the eastern bank of the Schuylkill River into a lovely path for walking, biking, or just sitting.  A business improvement district downtown is constantly adding pedestrian-friendly amenities, like maps and lamps.  As I live longer in University City, I'm struck by how pretty the architecture and the trees here are. 

And this week, PBS is featuring the city in its "Edens Lost and Found" series.  Among the local organizations featured: the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, the Village of Arts and Humanities, and the Mural Arts Program.  Each of them and others is responsible in their own way for making Philadelphia a pretty city. 

Sure, people here and afar who don't see it yet might still call it "Filthadelphia."  But now, when asked about my city, I can say with a straight face, "It's pretty here."

Comments

Popular Posts