BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD

At this morning’s church service, we sang a praise song that I like, called “Blessed Be Your Name.” It speaks of blessing God in good times and bad, which has been an important aspect of my Christian walk – that in both good times and bad, I remember and praise God, and that the greatest thing about God isn’t that He gives us good times or helps us through bad times but that He is praiseworthy at all times.

A thought crossed my mind as we sang the song. I recalled that Job said, “Blessed be the name of the Lord” after a catastrophic day. I picked up a Bible and flipped to the beginning of the book of Job to read the account. A chill came across me as I read of his finding out almost simultaneously about losing all his possessions and multiple family members, for it reminded me of the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

The past two weeks, my thoughts of this national tragedy have been manifold. I have been moved to give, and moved by others who have given. I have lamented the logistical and bureaucratic failures of the many levels of government who could’ve and should’ve done better in responding to this disaster. I have contemplated all of the socio-economic angles that this incident has brought to light.

What I haven’t done is asked for God to help those who believe in Him to say in the midst of losing so much, “Blessed be the name of the Lord.” Nor have I girded myself up spiritually, that were I to experience a similar loss I could say the same. But after this morning’s worship, I have done both. What an anchor, that in the best of times and the worst of times, the most blessed thing is the Name of our Lord.

“Blessed be Your Name in a land that is plentiful, where your streams of abundance flow, blessed be Your Name
And blessed be Your Name when I’m found in the desert place, though I walk through the wilderness, blessed be Your Name
Ever blessing You pour out I’ll turn back to praise, and when the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say
Chorus: Blessed be the name of the Lord, blessed be Your Name, Blessed be the name of the Lord, blessed be Your glorious Name
Blessed be Your Name when the sun’s shining down on me, when the world’s all as it should be, blessed be Your Name
And blessed be Your Name when the road is clogged with suffering, though there’s pain in the suffering, blessed be Your Name
Bridge: You give and take away, you give and take away, my heart will choose to say, “Lord, blessed be Your Name”

Comments

Popular Posts