GOOD NAME, BAD PR

While I’ve read all about the tasteless 49ers video, I hadn’t actually seen it until today (well, at least the first ten minutes or so, until the feed pooped out on me). The image was grainy but the message was clear, and after watching it, I was embarrassed, offended, and saddened.

If you’ve missed it, the 49ers PR department put together a bootleg instructional video on what not to do, only they did everything wrong you could think of. Sleazy nudity, unnecessary lesbian action, and a terrible Asian caricature are just some of the stupid things that ended up on this video.

I stopped around Minute 11 when the narrator looked into the camera and said, “And remember, you don’t just represent yourself; you represent the whole organization.” Oh, the irony! The 49ers are going to suffer for this amateurish production for many years to come.

Solomon said it best in his textbook of proverbs: “A good name is to be more desired than great riches; favor is better than silver and gold.” For my own sake, and for the “organizations” I represent – my family, my workplace, my school, my church, and all of my other affiliations – may I seek not great riches but a good name.

Comments

Popular Posts