SUNT FERICIT

Three weeks ago in our morning service, our congregation sang a song called, “I’m So Glad.” It brought me back to when I first learned that song . . . in Romanian, in 1994.

Romania was the fourth of four Eastern European countries I lived in that summer. For those two weeks, I lived and worked amongst a group of ex-rockers who had converted to Christianity and whose worship services were, as you can imagine, pretty rocking. “Sunt Fericit” was in heavy rotation, a catchy tune that spoke of being glad that Jesus has set us free. I soon learned the words and rocked along with them.

I had assumed it was a Romanian song until I returned to the US and heard it sung in English. But no matter; whenever I hear it sung, like three weeks ago, the Romanian words come to mind first. So there I was three weeks ago, singing along in Romanian, and swaying a little more than is the norm for our staid Presbyterian congregation. I’m so glad.

Comments

Popular Posts