RAPPERS NEXT DOOR

For the past year or so, the house next to us – and by next to us I mean our side windows are about six feet across from each other – has been inhabited in part by three young rappers. But far from dooming us to incessant beats and sleepless nights, it’s been quite enjoyable for me. Sure, they practice a lot, but rarely late at night – the one time it happened and my wife was already asleep, I politely yelled out the window and they respected my request. In fact, I quite like their style: funky beats, layered voices, and a socially conscious message. I’ve wanted to go over there and compliment them on their talent, but I just haven’t.

The three of them were riffing on the porch when I came home late tonight. As much as this could’ve been a chance for me to offer an encouraging word, I was weary from twelve hours at work and in the mood for dinner and bed. So I offered an affirming nod and headed to my front door. But one of them called out to me and said, “What’s your name?” Feeling a little nervous and oh so square, I extended my hand and shook hands with all three. I told them I liked their style and to keep it up. One bolted into the house and came back with invites to their next concert. I told them I’d try to make it.

Once I finally got into my house and shed my work gear, I thought to myself that I wished I was younger, so that I had the time and moxie to get to know them better. I’d love to hear the story of how they came together – one white guy, one African guy, and one Puerto Rican guy. I’ve love to talk hip hop history with them. I’d love to just hear their lyrics and learn more about the social change they want to effect with their music. You know what, who cares that I’m bookish and uncoordinated; maybe I will groove with them sometime.

PS If you’re in the Philadelphia area and want to attend their free concert to benefit AIDS survivors, check them out: Soldiers for Culture at the Rotunda at 4102 Walnut Street, July 10th @ 8:00pm.

Comments

Popular Posts