I’M MARTHA

There’s a story in the book of Luke where Jesus goes to the home of Mary and Martha to continue his discourses. As the men gather round Jesus, dutiful Martha plays host. Mary flaunts cultural norms and sits with the men, even at Jesus’ very feet. Mortified, Martha asks Jesus to scold Mary and ask her to get back in the kitchen to help carry the load of being a good host. But Jesus gently corrects Martha, saying Mary is in the right and that Martha’s frantic hostessing is unnecessary. Moral of the story: what’s most important is to be at Jesus’ feet.

Only lately, I’ve turned a critical eye towards Mary in this story. Sure, I understand that being with Jesus is more important than doing things for Jesus. But I guess I can relate to Martha, a little bitter at the Mary’s in life who are free to sit at Jesus’ feet because there are Martha’s in their lives to take care of the dirty work. I can appreciate that people last forever and relationships are more important than anything else in the world. But it seems like the easy and lazy thing, rather than the spiritually wise thing, for Mary to sit with the boys while Martha tends to the cooking, cleaning, and other behind-the-scenes hospitality.

You can probably detect more than a little cynicism in my voice. I guess I’ve got a little edge because I’ve been in situations where others get to play loose and free while I’m stuck worrying about details and logistics. Even worse, while others come off as faithful and spiritual, I look distrusting and calculating. Perhaps I should realize that while Jesus sides with Mary in the story, He probably appreciates Martha’s effort, even if He wants her to know that while her intentions are good she’s got her priorities slightly askew. And so I should know that Jesus does appreciate my desire to sweat the details, and make sure that I don’t turn being responsible into an idol that I strive for ahead of simply being with the One who is truly worthy of striving after.

Comments

Popular Posts