PAY TO PLAY
Philly is notorious for having a political climate that is all about "pay to play." If you kowtow to the powers that be, you get what you want; and if you refuse to play that game, you get mysteriously ostracized. I can't share too many details, but I recently had a conversation with a colleague of mine who I respect and admire a great deal. He has lived in Philadelphia all his life, and has served the city in many ways: as a Christian, a professional, and a political activist.
It is all the more discouraging to me, then, to see him burned out on Philly politics. I know he is the kind of person who does what is right, no matter what the personal consequences. And those consequences, lately, have been steep: for refusing to kowtow, he has been systematically and decisively excluded from business opportunities he rightly deserves. And while he maintains he prefers to be a person of integrity even though it costs him financially and professionally, still I can hear the weariness in his voice.
I despair sometimes, for if the entrenched injustice has exasperated someone like my friend who is far more righteous and intelligent than I, what hope do I have that my labors will make a difference? When I grow weary like this, I call to mind Paul's exhortation to the Romans: "Don't be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." Today, I pray this for myself and for my friend; and I pray a prayer for Philadelphia, and all cities, that they would not be overcome by evil but by good.
73-91 born SEA lived SJC 00 married (Amy) home (UCity) 05 Jada (PRC) 07 Aaron (ROC) 15 Asher (OKC) | 91-95 BS Wharton (Acctg Mgmt) 04-06 MPA Fels (EconDev PubFnc) 12-19 Prof GAFL517 (Fels) | 95-05 EVP Enterprise Ctr 06-12 Dir Econsult Corp 13-26 Principal Econsult Solutions 18-21 Phila School Board 19- Owner Lee A Huang Rentals LLC | Bds/Adv: Penn Weitzman, PIDC, YMCA | Mmbr: Brit Amer Project, James Brister Society
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's Long Overdue But Now Philly's Slamming
The announcement of LeBron James choosing to play for the Philadelphia 76ers for the next two years hit our fair city like a lightning b...
-
PHILADELPHIA NAMED BEST CITY FOR NEW GRADS How about Philly besting Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and every other city in America for ...
-
I recently had a humorous but telling incident on my bus ride into work. It being rush hour, the vehicle is often crowded and even standin...
No comments:
Post a Comment