WAITING FOR AN ANSWER

Well, I finally finished my book manuscript for Somewhere in Between: The Musings of a Newcomer to Urban Ministry. Then, I had some more writing to do: literary agents and publishers now require query letters, book synopses, author qualifications, and marketing proposals, to help them decide whether your book manuscript is worth the time and resources it will take them to get it to market.

But here I am, on the last day of 2003, and everything is done and ready to go. In early 2004, 40+ literary agents and publishers will be receiving an envelope from me, which contains everything they need to make a decision on whether to take a chance on this crazy book idea of mine.

I am a little nervous about what happens next, but mostly because I hate waiting. Still, I feel a certain sense of peace about the situation. I did as best as I could on the materials I wrote, and now it is in the hands of those who do this kind of stuff for living to decide if this book deserves to be on the market. I am bracing myself for the many inevitable rejection letters, and only hope for at least one interested party.

I said from the beginning that even if this book never saw the light of day, it would still be worth doing, because it will have helped me think through what it means to be an urban Christian. Now that I am at this point in the development of this book idea, my opinion hasn’t changed. It has been a rewarding experience, thanks especially to those who I gave a preliminary draft to, and who provided valuable feedback and insight. As a result, I feel sharper as a writer and as a Christian.

I do hope, though, for the chance for this book to sharpen other urban Christians. So while I feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction as of today, still I am nervously sending out my proposals to decision-makers, and here I am waiting for an answer.

Comments

Popular Posts