LETTER TO CONGRESSIONAL REPRESENTATIVES

(Every three months or so, I write to my two PA senators and my Congressional representative. I usually rotate between three topics -- world hunger, mental health, and youth entrepreneurship -- to let my reps know that at least one of their constituents is interested in these subjects, and to seek support of any specific legislation in these areas. But this quarter, with President Bush shifting his priorities from war in Iraq to the domestic economy, I wanted to put my two cents in on that topic.)

Dear (insert name),

For the past three months or so, I have been reluctantly pro-war. I do not believe there is any glory in war, but I do believe there are some things worth fighting for. So in that regard, I salute our troops for fighting with selfless courage, single-minded purpose, and (from what I've heard) necessary restraint. And I salute our President for being willing to think big and act big, towards a big goal: the defeat of terrorism and the advancement of democracy.

With the President now shifting his focus from warfare in Iraq to the economy on the home front, I want to urge you to consider the second front in this war on terrorism and this campaign to spread democracy. Whether at home or abroad, public and private acts of mercy, compassion, and aid are, in my opinion, the "soft love" approach that, in unison with the "tough love" approach, disarm evildoers and foster open societies.

To be specific, America has demonstrated what it stands for with its soldiers, missiles, and tanks; now it is time to demonstrate what it stands for with its social workers, rehabilitation clinics, and aid programs. I do not believe in a society sloughing off its obligation to compassion to a big and benevolent government, but nor do I believe that a massive tax cut for the wealthy will provide the economic stimulus to "raise all boats."

With the exception of the elimination of double taxation on dividends (a necessary reform, I believe, which will make it harder for corporations to play funny with their financial statements), I am against major tax cuts at this time. I think I can speak for the majority of Americans when I say we are less interested in "having more money to spend and save," and more interested in participating in a worldwide work of mercy for the downtrodden and freedom for the oppressed.

The President has courageously and (I believe) correctly surmised that we have an opportunity to do something great. Big plans require big budgets. Giving money back to the richest people in the richest country, and then waiting (hoping) for it to trickle down is not our best option. Let's not lose this momentum, or let this window of opportunity close. Let's continue to think big and act big, for the reputation of this great nation and for the sake of relief and liberation, both across the street and around the world.

Regards,



Lee Huang

Comments

Popular Posts