About Time

Image result for looking at my wristwatchJust so you know, today's post is one part "here are some productivity hacks" and three parts "documenting my crazy life so I can read about it fondly decades from now."  Proceed.



With my increasingly busy schedule, I've had to get even more disciplined about time management habits that I have but don't always hew to.  Of course, the easiest solution is to prune down my life.  But I've decided that I love everything that my life consists of, and would rather accept the pain that comes with juggling everything than let go of anything.  So, to wit:

Email.  I have a personal account, work account, account for my teaching, account for the condo I rent out, and School Board account.  That's five accounts!  At work, I only have my work account open, although I will check my School Board account two or three times during the work day, more if something's really popping.  At home, I check my personal account once a day, first thing in the morning, and all of the other accounts once a day, in the evening.  This is actually the biggest difference in my sanity, is forgoing the "multiple tabs are open, and a notification can fly in from any direction at any time" existence.

Social.  I might post throughout the day (write a blog first thing in the morning, snap a pic of Asher on the way to school, share something work-related while at the office or at an evening event), but my consumption of social is largely limited to a quick scan first thing in the morning and another quick scan in the evening.  For all of the laments about wasting time going through your Facebook or Twitter feed, this is actually the thing I miss the most, is keeping up with people's life milestones, highs and lows, and political/social commentary.  If I didn't comment on, like, or even see your picture of your new baby or wedding dress or vacation photos or article that got published, I'm really sorry, trust me when I say this is the hardest thing to let go of in keeping up with everything in my life.

Doubling down vs. folding when it comes to business events.  Both for work purposes and out of personal curiosity, there are an almost infinite number of business events that would be worth my while to attend.  Which means I have to make tough choices all the time, either to skip that potentially rewarding networking function to be with my family for dinner, or miss family quality time to make that event.  I'm getting better at making the call and being present wherever I end up, whether at home or on the road.  And I'm getting better at maxing out on my decisions to forgo family time, hitting two or even three functions since I'm already out and I might as well make the most of it. 

Recharge.  Out of exercise, reading, and sleep, I have been pretty good about the first, so-so with the second, and not great with the third.  There are other leisure activities that my life will allow at some point down the road, but at this juncture this is all I get, and if I don't cheat any of them then this is really all I need.  God bless the YMCA, which watches Asher for two hours on the weekend so I can get a workout in.  And God bless my Amazon Kindle app, which allows me to read my way to my z's last thing in the evening.  Now if only I had a life hack for sleeping better or longer; well, I guess there's my weekend afternoon naps when Asher naps.

So what are your productivity hacks?  I'm always game for learning more and doing better.  Life awaits, and I'm psyched to make the most of it.

Comments

Popular Posts