Too Short for a Blog Post, Too Long for a Tweet 160

Here are a couple of excerpts from a book I recently read, "Wonder," by R.J. Palacio:



AUGUST

I’m not sure why, but all of a sudden I started to cry.

Mom put the book down and wrapped her arms around me. She didn’t seem surprised that I was crying. “It’s okay,” she whispered in my ear. “It’ll be okay.” 

“I’m sorry,” I said between sniffles. 

“Shh,” she said, wiping my tears with the back of her hand. “You have nothing to be sorry about.…” 

“Why do I have to be so ugly, Mommy?” I whispered. 

“No, baby, you’re not …” 

“I know I am.” 

She kissed me all over my face. She kissed my eyes that came down too far. She kissed my cheeks that looked punched in. She kissed my tortoise mouth. 

She said soft words that I know were meant to help me, but words can’t change my face.

OLIVIA

I wonder how many nights she’s stood outside his door. And I wonder if she’s ever stood outside my door like that.



Comments

Popular Posts