Philly Traditions


Christmas growing up usually meant good food, lots of presents, and some family get-together.  But there was never any regular tradition that we partook of outside the house.  I remember office parties, seeing Santa, and going to my friend's church potluck, but nothing that was year in and year out. 

Of course, the Macy's light show is a venerable tradition here in Philly.  And the Comcast Center's show is on its way to becoming a similar institution.  So it was fun to partake of both yesterday, on Black Friday, and to meander through Christmas Village, the concourse in front of the Municipal Services Building, Reading Terminal Market, and the Gallery Mall between and after shows. We made both shows - on the hour - right on time, got a ton of loot at Five Below, took countless great photos, and didn't even have to wait long for our buses to and from downtown. 

Now that's a Philly holiday outing, one we've done several times already and one I plan to keep going as long as my kids will let me drag them around.  Methinks they'll be remembering these traditions, and maybe even carrying them on with their kids. 











Comments

Caroline said…
Hi Lee, I ran across your blog today while looking for a nanny in the area for my 8 month old son. This is off topic but since you seem like a pretty well informed parent I thought I would ask your opinion. We are moving down from NY in December and will need childcare while I am in class at U Penn on Monday and Tuesday nights. Do you have any recommendations of where to find nannies? Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you! Caroline
LH said…
Caroline - Thanks for your kind words. I recommend the following Google Groups: Clark Park Tot Lot and Spruce Hill Community Association. Both good resources for things like this.

Popular Posts