When LeBron James famously announced he was taking his "talents to South Beach," my friend got a kick out of how James' move from Cleveland to Miami coincided perfectly with his own decision to relocate his consulting practice from Ohio to Florida for both personal and business reasons. I teased him, because his decision came first, that he set the trend and LeBron followed.
That was over a decade ago. Yesterday, the story broke that LeBron will play the next two years of his career (I assume his last two years of his career but who knows?) for the 76ers, rocketing our home team to the top of media attention, jersey sales, and championship aspirations. It's a giddy time for a city that is already basking in the glow of having successfully hosted the PGA Tournament, MLB All-Star Game, and FIFA World Cup in this the 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence (which of course also happened here). Summer of Philly indeed!
LeBron's words are always dissected to death, and yesterday's announcement was no different. I immediately gravitated to a sentiment that cuts deeply personally, which is that he left one job (having played for the Los Angeles Lakers the past 8 years and informing them he did not wish to return for a 9th season) and had this time to process with those closest to him what would be a good next (last?) job in what is one of the all-time great careers of any sport.
This is exactly where I am, having decided to leave one job (Econsult Solutions, where I was employed from 2006 to 2026), without knowing what my next job is, and doing so with intention so that the job search could be informed by this in-between season rather than pre-determined prior to my departure from my previous job.
Really brave or really dumb? Probably a little bit of both, but let's focus on the positives. This transition season has been rich in travel and recreation, as well as exploring a wide range of potential next jobs (and the fascinating people, topics, and conversations that come along with that), and a not insignificant amount of time in self-reflection as well, to help guide my searching so that it hopefully yields a process and outcome consistent with my most deeply held beliefs.
I am now 2+ months into my process and still uncertain what's next and when. LeBron similarly kept us all in suspense all summer but has since made his decision. I guess that puts me on the clock to make my call too. Will keep you posted!

No comments:
Post a Comment