#ThisIsWestPhilly, Part a Million

 





 

Look at these four photos. They represent the four corners of an intersection very close to where I live in University City, and are as good an indication of the neighborhood I reside in as you'll get.

On the northwest corner is a Chinese church that was newly built not long ago. I haven't attended a service there, but I know folks who do and I have been in the building for neighborhood planning meetings hosted by City government.

On the northeast corner is a mosque that also houses some Islamic non-profit activities. I haven't attended a service there either, but I've seen folks coming in and out for service, as well as their kids playing in the courtyard. I've also frequented many times the halal food truck that's parked outside.

Speaking of food, on the southeast corner is a Lebanese restaurant and bakery, housed in a converted bank building. Inside is a riot of tastes, smells, and sights. Given how close it is to our house and how delightful is the whole experience, it's a favorite treat spot for our family.

Finally, on the southwest corner is a Middle Eastern restaurant run by the nicest of families. The place is always full, and I love to peek into the diverse clientele enjoying good food and animated conversation. 

Sometimes I'll use a hashtag on social, #ThisIsWestPhilly, which is usually when I've captured some aspect of our neighborhood in which lots of different and wonderful things are juxtaposed in a way that catches my eye. These four corners certainly fit that description, and I couldn't be happier to be able to see it on a daily basis.

Comments

Popular Posts