Missional


 

I'm pleased to announce that I've joined the board of trustees of Missio Seminary.  Formerly known as Biblical Theological Seminary, the institution made a huge move recently, both literally and figuratively, in relocating from its original Hatfield campus to a location in the heart of Philadelphia at 7th and Spring Garden Streets.

I lead with that piece of information because it so encapsulates the character of Missio, to boldly go and do as God leads and with a predisposition for engagement and action.  Even in the short time I've served on the board, I see a group of women and men who are humbly and passionately striving to journey where timeless truths intersect with contemporary struggles, and who have graciously and enthusiastically welcomed me into their community.  

I cannot neglect to sing the praises of some specific people who make up Missio.  I met President Frank James a few years back and have been constantly refreshed and challenged by our conversations and by his convictions.  Two key faculty members at Missio happen to be friends and former Penn InterVarsity Christian Fellowship leaders, Shannon and Dave Lamb, to whom I owe much of my understanding of God and of servant leadership.  And I'm humbled and honored to be joining the Missio board alongside Pastor Alyn Waller of Enon Tabernacle Baptist Church, who has been such a voice in this city on issues like racism, gun violence, and economic opportunity.

It will be rewarding to bring my faith and professional perspective into this service opportunity, and in turn to learn what it is like to have a stewardship role in a faith-based academic institution.  As you can tell, I'm excited!

Comments

Popular Posts