Too Short for a Blog Post, Too Long for a Tweet 241

iresha picot
Here is an excerpt from an article I recently read, "This Cyclist Rides to Empower Others—and for Her Own Self-Care," in Bicycling Magazine.

I get a lot of messages from other plus-sized women who say things like, “Oh, I want to cycle, but I’ve been afraid it might be uncomfortable.” And I hope that by showing myself out there cycling, I can inspire someone to remove limitations they have in their minds. I’m hoping through representation, I can inspire someone who has been thinking about biking to get started and achieve their goals.

I’ve gotten so many positive reactions from people online who are trying to start their own wellness journeys, which is so inspiring. I didn’t realize how many people don’t see black women cycling, especially not plus-sized women. I didn’t realize that people like me didn’t see themselves reflected widely in the cycling community until I started cycling and sharing about it.

But now it’s all positivity. People hit me up and say, “I rode a bike today,” or “I signed up for a bikeshare because you inspired me to.”

Bodies come in all shapes and sizes, and that shouldn’t keep you from going out. For me, cycling has been a great addition to my self-care routine. And, I loved being able to be around groups of women and share the experience with friends or community

.

Comments

Popular Posts