Remembering Chadwick

I'm not much into movies but I get why Chadwick Boseman's untimely passing is so devastating, and I have found myself feeling very emotional about it.  Hearkening back to a point I made in a post 12 years ago, we are particularly overcome because of how much Chadwick gave to us his fans, at great cost to himself.  While in cancer treatment, he inhabited some of Hollywood's most iconic roles, most notably T'Challa in "Black Panther," which is rightly hailed as one of the medium's great characters.  His portrayal of the king of Wakanda engendered an outpouring of admiration, particularly from parents of Black children thankful for the representation of a strong and noble leader that their kids can look up to.


 


I can't help but connect Chadwick's passing to another tragic loss, that of Kobe Bryant earlier this year.  Like Chadwick, Kobe belonged to us.  He worked hard and endured significant hardship to entertain us, to uplift us, to inspire us.  And, like Chadwick, Kobe was taken from us far too soon.

I can't say where everyone else's tears are coming from but for me I feel a deep sense of gratitude and debt to great men like Chadwick and Kobe, for all they sacrificed of themselves to bless others.  And I feel a deep sense of loss at what could've been for many years to come, more good works and more inspiring example - both men were well known for being charitable with their time and resources, and thoughtful in their social commentary and in what influence they had to do good.


 


 I want to be careful here because when we are hurting, we are absolutely given permission to be on the sidelines and take care of ourselves.  There is nothing to be ashamed of when life deals you a heavy burden and you have to ask for help instead of being help.  Nevertheless, we all should be inspired by the life of Chadwick and Kobe, inspired to consider what little or big we can do to be a benefit to others, even and especially at great cost to ourselves.  That, and not a totally selfish and self-absorbed life, is what life is for.  

Comments

Popular Posts