TV/Movie Reviews


Not sure how often I’ll update this, but wanted to use the occasion, since folks have been antsy for viewing recommendations, to rate all of the things I’ve watched since I started tracking things about 3 ½ years ago.  During that time, it appears I’ve averaged about 4 hours per week of viewing, with almost all of that happening on the weekend when I take Asher to the Y and watch while I exercise (allowing for a generous use of the word “exercise” since it usually means walking on a treadmill at 1.5mph or pedaling a seated bike at 6mph). 

A few quick notes about the ratings.  First, not sure how many recommendations you’ll get out of this, since I’m usually way late to the party (alas, as a result this also means I can’t keep up with everyone else’s chatter about the latest shows, because such would represent major spoilers for me).  Second, it’s in alphabetical order, since while I know the order in which I viewed them that order doesn’t really matter.   Third, I’ll just use a simple A/B/C/D/F scale, and by the way unlike in real life I’m a pretty easy grader when it comes to being entertained.  Fourth, and related to the previous point, I’m mostly grading on sheer entertainment value (e.g. when I’m actually pounding out the miles on the treadmill, will this keep me gripped?) rather than educational depth or social commentary (even though the latter two are obviously important for some shows).  Fifth, I’m too lazy to grade individual seasons, although obviously there can be great variation across season.

And now, without further ado...



Altered Carbon S1.  B.  Muscular, violent, dystopian.  It was schlocky but it worked for me.  The two new seasons on Netflix are in my queue.

American Crime S1-3.  B.  Loved seeing the same actors as different characters, just underscored for me how good actors are at their craft.

Arrested Development S4, 4X, and 5.  B.  I forget now which season was meh and which was laugh-out-loud funny.

Bird Box.  C.  I’m afraid to rewatch it now that we’re in the middle of global pandemic.

Black Mirror S1-5 + Bandersnatch.  B.  Clearly there are some good and bad ones here, but overall it’s a compelling concept.

Black Panther.  A.  Wow, just wow, all around.

Blacklist S1-6.  B.  Really well done.  Shout out to my high school friend Kurt Kuenne, who has directed a few of these episodes.

Crazy Rich Asians.  A.  Smiled the whole way through.

Creed.  A.  Loved everything about this underdog movie.

Dark S1-2.  C.  Confusing as heck at times but still compelling.

Designated Survivor S1-3.  B.  I liked the premise and the actors a lot.

Electric Dreams S1.  C.  Less dark than “Black Mirror,” which it made better and worse at times.

Get Out.  B.  Supremely creative.

Homecoming.  D.  Kind of a nothing-burger throughout.

How To Get Away With Murder S1-5.  B.  Loved the flash-backs and flash-forwards.

In the Shadow of the Moon.  C.  Gotta love the retro Philly scenes, but otherwise meh.

Jessica Jones S1-3.  C.  Got tiring after a while.

Mindhunter S1-2.  B.  Amy’s more into this stuff than I am, but I also found it gripping.

Nikita S1-4.  A.  Love Maggie Q and love these kinds of twists and turns, so this is an “A” and I will make no apology for how bad and unrealistic this show was.

Scandal S1-7.  A.  Slipped a little in the later seasons but still first-rate suspense.

Selma.  A.  So incredibly moving throughout.

Sense8 S1-2.  B.  I really liked this, I don’t know why.

Stranger Things S1-3.  A.  I’ve fallen in love with the kids from Hawkins.

The Fall S1-3.  C.  Amy dug this a lot, while I thought it was just OK.

The I Land S1.  D.  Interesting premise but poorly executed.

The Wire S1-5.  A.  An immersive experience.

Travelers S1-3.  B.  Some of the premises were meh, but I was still moved.

Umbrella Academy S1.  C.  Had potential but a little all over the place for my taste.

Us.  B.  Quite good.

V Wars S1.  F.  Just terrible.

You S1.  B.  Gotta love when the main character is likable and despicable.

Comments

Popular Posts