Backup Quarterback

I have a ton of respect for NFL backup quarterbacks who do their homework during the week and keep themselves physically and mentally prepared to enter the game at a moment's notice.  Many years, they'll never get on the playing field, or else it'll be during garbage time when the team wants to keep the starter from injury.  And yet, all it takes is one bad hit or one awkward landing, and all of a sudden, Mr. Backup Quarterback is thrust into the position of great influence on a game's outcome.  So to be ready ever week like that, never knowing if or when it'll be your time to produce, that takes a lot of humility and professionalism and dedication to excellence.

I mention this because I think there are seasons in our Christian discipleship when we are called to be backup quarterback.  In his book, The Making of a Leader, Robert Clinton looks at leaders from the Bible, church history, and contemporary times, to see if there are any patterns in the ways God makes leaders and in the ways leaders respond.  He finds that times "on the sideline" show up in a lot of leaders' lives.  He describes such times as instrumental in God's molding of the kind of faithfulness, steadiness, and humility He requires of leaders.  If he was a football fan, he might even call these "seasons as backup quarterback."

I am wondering if this is a season as backup quarterback for me.  I have gone from a job with tremendous and broad leadership opportunities to one that is more specialized and focused.  With a small child at home and hopefully more on the way, I have less time and energy for things like church service and board membership.  And, let's face it, I'm older; so the day ends for me at 9:00pm while for others it is just beginning. 

For someone who is as accomplishment-oriented as I am, it is hard to be "on the sidelines."  But I remember my admiration for NFL backup quarterbacks and the insights from Robert Clinton.  And so I believe this is my "season as backup quarterback," and God is trying to grow in me the humility and professionalism and dedication to excellence He needs to see in me so that I will be ready the next time I'm thrust into play. 

Don't get me wrong: my life right now is neither boring nor empty.  My job is fulfilling, challenging, stretching.  I love being a dad, being home at a decent hour to be with my family.  I'm OK with getting older and needing more sleep.  In addition to my job, I'm starting to dip my toe in other areas of service.  I wouldn't wish for the lifestyle of my twentysomethings even if I could go back in time. 

Even for starting quarterbacks, Sunday is only one day a week.  The other six days are for film work, repetitions, cross training, stuff like that.  All that prep pays off on Sunday.  The backup quarterback has to train just as hard, but the payoff isn't necessarily seven days away.  That's the thing; they don't know when they'll get on the field again.  I don't know, either, but I'll try to take a cue from the backup quarterbacks and be ready when it's time. 


Comments

Popular Posts